Motor Trade insurance

From used car & van dealerships, to MOT stations & crash repair centres.


What is Motor Trade Insurance?

It provides cover to businesses who work with vehicles such as cars, vans and motorbikes. This includes businesses who buy, sell and repair vehicles, from small scale mechanics and valet-parking services to MOT centres and large-scale car dealerships.

It works by covering your staff when driving or working on company owned vehicles or customer vehicles. It can also protect your business against other risks such as damage to equipment, parts you fit and goods in transit.

Different motor trading businesses will have different risks attached to them, meaning Motor Trade Insurance needs to be tailormade for each.

Get in touch

    Do I need Motor Trade Insurance?

    If your business involves your staff having responsibility for other people’s vehicles, whether it be driving or working on, then you’ll need some form of motor trade cover. This isn’t only applicable to limited companies either. If you are self-employed and your customers’ vehicles are under your care at any point, it’s vital to have the right policy to protect you.

    Some of the key businesses that SJL Insurance Services cover include:

    • Mechanics
    • MOT centres
    • Car dealerships
    • Breakdown and recovery operators
    • Tyre fitters
    • Body Shops

    Motor Trade Insurance comprises a large variety of cover and can be relevant for an array of different professions. If you’re still not sure whether you need Motor Trade Insurance for your business, contact the team at SJL Insurance Services to find out more.

    What does Motor Trade Insurance cover?

    It can cover a huge variety of risks to your business. Because every business is different, these risks will differ too. Cover will therefore be aimed towards a specific business depending on factors such as the equipment they use, how they work with or drive company and customer vehicles and how the business runs day-to-day.

    Examples of some of the types of cover that can be provided within Motor Trade Insurance include:

    • Employer’s Liability
    • Public & Products Liability
    • Road Risks
    • Plant and Machinery
    • Portable Hand tools
    • Own & Customers vehicles
    • Money Cover
    • Business Interruption
    • Wrongful conversion
    • Legal Expenses
    • Engineering Inspection

    Get a quote

    What is the difference between Motor Trade Insurance, Fleet Insurance and Car Insurance?

    Fleet Insurance provides cover to company owned vehicles. If your business owns more than one vehicle it can cover multiple drivers across your fleet on one single policy. To find out more, view our Fleet Insurance service page.

    Car Insurance (or ‘Vehicle insurance’) is more commonly used by individuals who want to protect themselves from bodily injury and property damage claims filed against them after an accident in a personal vehicle. By law, all motorists are required to take out vehicle insurance.

    Motor Trade Insurance is designed specifically for businesses. It is primarily aimed at businesses that work on or with customer vehicles and covers accidents that may happen when these vehicles are being driven or worked on. It can also include cover such as employer’s liability and product liability.

    Why choose SJL Insurance Services for your Motor Trade Insurance?

    Your policy will depend on your individual business needs. This form of cover is therefore built to meet your business requirements.

    Because of the various types of cover that can be included, it can be confusing and easy to pay for cover that you don’t actually need (such as covering for HGVs which might not actually be applicable to your business).

    The expert teams at SJL Insurance Services work with you to ensure that you get the perfect policy for your business, which covers everything you need, and not anything you don’t.

    If you would like to find out more about the team at SJL Insurance Services and why our clients choose us, please visit our About Us page.

    Get a quote

    How much does Motor Trade Insurance cost?

    Our Motor Trade Insurance policies are tailormade for each individual business. The specifics of a policy and therefore cost is based on the size of business, service it provides and the way it works.

    If you would like to know more or want to find out how much it would cost to cover your business with our Motor Trade Insurance, please request a quote today or get in touch at us at moc.ecnarusniljsnull@troppus or on +44 (0) 1905 27775.

    Alternatively, please contact us at moc.ecnarusniljsnull@troppus or on +44 (0) 1905 27775

    What other cover should I consider for my business?

    SJL Insurance Services offer a number of different covers that may suit your business. These include:

      We will use the personal data you are sharing with us solely for the purpose of responding to your query. We do not store this data on our website. See our privacy policy for more information.